One positive result of 2020 has been the incredible uprise of widely available, free, professional development resources for those in the education field. Whether you are teaching high school, recruiting for a post-secondary institution, or working with students in any capacity, there is likely free resources online to elevate your abilities and show a commitment to lifelong learning. Below are top five recommendations for educator professional development, many of which offer certificates of completion!
- ALISON: A New World of Free Certified Learning Website, offers free (with ads), self-paced professional development opportunities with optional paid certificates of completion. They focus on effective teaching communication, student motivation, and understanding student development and diversity, among other topics.
- Teachers First contains ongoing workshops that focus on effective teaching strategies and offer certificates of completion! Registration is required and while you may view archived sessions, attendance is mandatory for live sessions if you desire a certificate of completion. Their website states that Teachers First “is a free service offered since 1998 by a non-profit, The Source for Learning. The Board of Directors of The Source for Learning (SFL) feels strongly that teachers should not have to pay for this service”.
- If webinars are your preferred style of learning, keep your eye out for sessions that are a part of Education Week, which offer “A collection of free and premium virtual broadcasts, including upcoming and on-demand webinars”.
- Association for Supervision and Curriculum Development (ASCD) is an archived database of professional development material including workshops, webinars, and virtual events on a wide variety of topics. Although their content is not all free, there is a wealth of knowledge available at no cost! It is definitely worth pursuing their webinar archive for professional development topics you are interested in.
- The Institute for Arts Integration and STEAM offer a variety of free resources for teachers, including lessons, a free articles library, and professional development that include show notes for podcasts!
On the topic of podcasts, check out these top picks for anyone working in the field of education:
Honorable Video Recommendations:
- The School of Life’s YouTube Channel
- Teacher Webinar: Introduction to the Growth Mindset
- What can schools do to develop positive, high-achieving students? Insights from TALIS and PISA
- Why do gender gaps in education and work persist?
- EdTechTeam’s YouTube Channel
- Every kid needs a champion | Rita Pierson (a dose of motivationJ)
Blog content is written on behalf of SUTIL Executive Member, Samantha Kitzul, and does not necessarily reflect the views of SUTIL as a whole, nor the post-secondary institutions SUTIL is comprised of.